Tuesday, November 27, 2007

An exerpt from my life

Back by popular demand is the following story which I composed while I was at Capernwray in England. It chronicles a small token of my life in a fashion that you will hopefully find enjoyable.

It happens that sometimes in the pursuit of fitness there are mishaps. Some of these have to do with the mutilation of the human body, others the destruction of valuable specially bought, most of the time, expensive equipment. The particular mishap that befell my exercise experience had to do with a defective bottle of shampoo.
I recently decided that I would, in light of the freshman 15 affliction, pursue an exercise regimen. There are a number of sweat producing activities that can be participated in at Capernwray. The most popular option seems to be jogging. According the Heathers Concise Dictionary of the English Language, often abbreviated as HCDEL, jogging is defined as, “the exhausting punishment of the human body in order to achieve physical fitness.” As a strong supporter of the HCDEL, I decided against this popular choice. I began searching for other ways to work off a few pounds that didn’t cause me to hate the sport after three days. What I found was quite exciting. I decided that I would take up swimming laps in the pool in the mornings before breakfast. Not having swum since the 7th grade when I was an active member of the swim club, made an interesting show for the first while, but eventually I took to it like a fish to water.
Yes all was well, I was getting exercise, I was enjoying it and I was not gaining weight, as rapidly that is. However one dark day, I came across something very disconcerting. My backpack which I toted to and from the pool was slightly wet, a little gooey and smelled mildly like the fruity goodness of Herbal Essences. Yes, you guessed it, my backpack had been attacked, by a improperly shut bottle of shampoo, that is. This was a proper catastrophe. Now my beautiful backpack, the instrument of my traveling experience had the encountered first hand just what the essence of the Herbals is.
I, in my typical band aid fix style, spot cleaned my backpack and kept on using it for my swimming purposes. This all had to come to an end, however, when I needed the backpack for a weekend trip to Edinburgh, Scotland. I was forced to clean it. I could not be a simple throw in the washer situation because this particular backpack has a metal frame. This forced me to scrub it in the sink and like all good shampoos my whole backpack took to frothing and lathering something extraordinary. The lathering seemed never ending, no need for repeat, so I just stopped washing it and let it to try hoping the bubbles would do what bubbles do and dissipate. Now this could be the end of this escapade, but since I am still writing you as the reader must now understand that there is more. So much more. The wrench in the situation was that I needed this sopping wet bubbly backpack that night to pack in for the trip. I needed this to dry much faster than nature was willing to work. So I did what any girl living in a dorm with 5 other roommates would do. I took the blow dryer to it. So there I am, blow dryer in one hand, backpack in the other in a last attempt to render this pack ready to fulfill its calling in life, to be packed in. It turns out that the fabric of the backpack is hard to penetrate, even with air, so my pack had a difficult time to achieve dryness. After much drying, I retired it to hang on my closet to air dry for a while. So this is where it sits now. It is now much dryer than it was, but it will forever be afflicted with a small aroma of fruitiness. A small memento of a run in with one bottle of shampoo with a vengeance for backpacks.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

One good idea may have been to hang your backpack in the shower for a few weeks and use it as a pre-soaped poof (er ah whatever those things are called) Then your pack would get clean and the shampoo would not be wasted. A very dutch solution.

Of course you would have to live w/o the pack till it stopped producing bubbles. If your existing poof would double as a pack it would be perfect...

Timothy Braun said...

A much more enjoyable yarn than I could produce with our luggage.

Suitcase + Cat Urine = bad story.

heather said...

Dennis: Good solution, I like your initiative. However, as you may recall, the backpack in question was actually yours and I'm not sure that you would have wanted its fate to be reduced to a shower "poof". (I think they are actually called loofahs). Also note that this is the same backpack which is now in possession of some thugs/thieves in Barcelona. Sorry about that. Maybe I should have used it as a shower poof and then it would not have met such an untimely departure from me and from you.

Juanita said...

Good story. I would like to read part two about how it came to be in possession of thugs/thieves in Barcelona.

Yes Tim. I agree. Very bad story. Also...
Suitcase + Cat Urine = kittens

Anonymous said...

And she's back!

I personally think that you should have just duct taped the inside to make it not "gooey" for your clothing and then used it as is! That way all your stuff would smell fresh on the whole trip! And maybe the outside would have been too slippery to get stolen.

Lisa Sawatzky said...

By the way, I'm rather popular and I demand a new post. That way it can be back by "popular demand" again. Come on, what's happening in the life of Heather? Oh, write it all in Spanish so I can spend the next three weeks trying to figure out what it says. That would be cool!

 
Heather's Thoughts on Life and Linguistics - Free Blogger Templates - by Templates para novo blogger